for this position
ATI Position Announcement:
ATI Department: Information Technology
Reports to: Information Technology Director
Compensation Classification: Full-time Salaried Position
Salary: Competitive – Based on skills and experience
Onsite Position: Corporate Office in Tucson, Arizona
Established in 1986, Assessment Technology, Incorporated (ATI) is a national corporation with a mission to create, distribute, and support technology to promote learning. ATI's applications provide Preschool and K 12 clients with complete instructional improvement and effectiveness systems that assist client-district administrators and teachers in their efforts to improve student performance.
The Department is responsible for planning, implementing, and maintaining system architecture, optimizing performance of all hardware and software used to deliver Galileo Online services to ATI clients, performing client and in-house technical support, and managing the client data import and export programs. The Department works interactively with management and with other departments within ATI to help ensure company competitiveness and client satisfaction.
The primary function of the Database Administrator is to support the operation of all ATI databases, with the Galileo database being the primary focus. This position may also assist in monitoring network/server performance and ensure continued operation of IT systems. An occasional and additional responsibility of this position is participation in the IT emergency response team.
General Employment Expectations:
All employees are expected to provide the following in the workplace:
- Performance of quality work within deadlines with or without direct supervision.
- Professional interactions with other employees and with clients.
- Effectiveness as a team contributor on all assignments.
- Independent production while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with supervisors, other employees, and organizations.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Install and update software. Schedule and perform regular server maintenance.
- Configure database servers. Design and maintain database management procedures.
- Monitor and maintain system health and security. Implement and manage security measures.
- Key contributor in planning and execution of migrating SQL Server DB from local data center to Amazon Web Services (AWS).
- Design backup processes. Must maintain detailed Disaster Recovery Plan, and test said plan at regular intervals.
- Restore and maintain non-production copies of Galileo and other database. For example, creating and maintaining jobs to update development, QA, and demo database instances.
- Provide end-to-end technical problem resolution.
- Evaluate data analysis models and procedures as requested.
- Collaborate with R&D department and other staff to implement schema changes.
- Develop ad-hoc queries or scripts as needed for internal requests, such as custom export requests or data needed for internal analysis needs.
- Assist with importing and exporting of customer data into Galileo DB as requested – including data repairs.
- Liaising with software engineers, IT staff, program managers, and other colleagues/stakeholders. Complete tasks through effective consultation with staff at various levels of leadership.
- Assist with writing of reports, documentation, and operating manuals.
- Maintain databases to ensure they operate, perform, and scale reliably.
- Archiving and other data cleanup and maintenance tasks.
- Assist Systems Administrator and other IT staff as needed
- Respond to occasional after-hours emergencies.
- Work safely and keep work area clean and free of any safety hazards.
- Adhere to all company personnel guidelines, policies, and procedures.
- Perform other job-related duties as required.
Minimum Professional Requirements:
- Bachelor of Science in Management Information Systems, Computer Science, or related field. Note: Certification and experience may be allowed as substitute for this requirement.
- At least 3 years of experience as a SQL Server DBA administering a DB in excess of 100GB and 20 tables using SQL Server 2008 or higher.
- IT certification (preferably Security+, CCNA, MCSA, or MCSE).
- System Administrator experience.
- Knowledge of database structure and theory, including relational DB design and table normalization.
- Strong familiarity with SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS).
- Strong T-SQL and ANSI SQL skills. Ability to write and modify complex T-SQL scripts is a must.
- Detailed knowledge of SQL Server Jobs and Job Activity Monitor.
- Experience with database tracing, profiling, and performance analysis.
- Experience implementing, managing, and testing failover solutions for SQL Server.
- Ability to analyze existing DB schema and make recommendations to improve performance and/or scalability.
- Experience with DB backup/restore and Disaster Recovery Planning including full backup, differential backup, and log backup.
- Conceptual understanding of Amazon Web Services (AWS) and hosting a database in the cloud.
- History of working cooperatively within a team environment and communicating with a wide range of people with varying levels of responsibility and in various settings along with demonstrated ability to work independently at times with minimal supervision and assistance.
- Strength in:
- Analysis and interpretation of data.
- Critical thinking.
- Complex problem solving.
- Oral and written communication.
- Organizing, planning, and prioritizing time and tasks.
- Resourcefulness and careful attention to detail.
- Learning and applying new skills rapidly and effectively.
- Working cooperatively within a team environment and communicating with a wide range of people with varying levels of responsibility and in various settings. Also need ability to work independently at times with minimal supervision and assistance.
- Physical competencies:
- Ability to sit for long periods of time.
- Good visual and manual dexterity.
- Ability to lift 25 pounds.
- Ability to travel in-state as necessary and meet company requirements for mileage reimbursement.
- Ability to respond to after-hours emergencies as is occasionally needed.
- Clear and pleasant speaking voice and the ability to provide outstanding customer service via the phone.
- Ability and willingness to present a professional appearance and positive attitude.
Highly Beneficial Experience and Capabilities
- Over 5 years of experience as SQL Server DBA of a database in excess of 500GB.
- Experience working with SQL Server Filegroups.
- Experience using SQL Profiler.
- Experience administering database hosted on cloud storage, such as AWS.
- Experience with Amazon Relational Database Services (RDS).
- Experience migrating database to cloud services.
- Familiarity with SQL Server reporting and analysis tools.
- Experience with “no-SQL” databases such as Amazon DynamoDB and Mongo DB.
- IT certification (A+, Network+, Security+, CCNA, MCSA, MCSE).
- Windows PowerShell scripting skills.
Apply for this position
We invite you to apply for this position online through the link provided directly above.
ATI Benefits Summary:
ATI employees receive a broad benefits package, including:
- Competitive salary and bonus opportunities
- Company paid health insurance with vision care and dental insurance
- Cafeteria plan for employees wishing to pay for family insurance through the ATI group policies and for dependent care
- Paid vacation, sick-time compensation, and eight holidays during the year
- 401-K retirement plan after one year of consecutive employment
- Short-term disability insurance - Voluntary Participation
- Term-life insurance - Voluntary Participation